Monday 5 March 2012

The liberty book of home Sewing- a review

The Liberty book of home sewing is a visual treat from the front cover to the back page.

Peppered throughout the book are pages of the iconic Liberty print cottons, which in themselves are a visual treat for fans of the delicious fabric
This book is aimed not just at new stitchers, but at the more advanced stitcher too. There is a project in this book for everyone, wether it's their simple but elegant cushion cover, the eco shopper bag or the gorgeous quilt.
 
The instructions for each project are very well drawn, beautiful clear diagrams. There is comprehensive text description alongside the diagrams too, making it nice and clear how to make up the projects.
At the beginning of the book is a nice section on  how to get started, again illustrated with gorgeous diagrams, and there's a useful kit list too. Most of the techniques you'll need to get a professional finish are covered well in this section. a good example is notching and clipping seams before turning through, and I think they've done a great job in this section.
Apart from being a great sewing handbook, this really is an aspirational book. The images of things you could make are just so beautifully shot. There are so many fabulous photos here that I can't see how anyone won't be inspired to get their sewing machine out and have a go! I'm a big fan of the corsage, and this is my favourite image from the book.
My only niggle about this book, would be that as with most  new sewing books, there aren't full sized patterns included. The book supplies diagrams, which you are required to scale up to a full sized pattern. I'm an impatient stitcher, and scaling up patterns is to me a bit like maths- Torture!  I believe the reason for this is that to print and publish books with full sized paper patterns is very expensive, and would make the book ridiculously costly.

I was given a copy of this book to review, however the opinions expressed here are entirely my own.

Claire-Louise Hardie- Secretary SNWI







1 comment:

  1. I am so glad to have found your site and I especially loved how you found a book that was specially helpful for me as a advanced sewer and in between. On my journey as a fashion designer , I have enjoyed finding and learning new things visually and is easier for me. Based on your review on this book I will be certainly getting it! :)

    ReplyDelete